Happy Australia Day friends! Given today’s a national holiday here in Australia, to help you get in the spirit of things I thought I’d share a good old Aussie favourite with you all. The sausage roll.
The problem was, when it came to what stuffing to use, I just couldn’t make up my mind… I’m quite partial to the odd Pork, apricot and sage sausage roll but then, I came across a recipe for these yummy Pork sausage rolls with caramelised apple and thyme, thanks to Australian Gourmet traveller.
In the end, rather than having to choose, I simply halved the quantities for each recipe and made both…problem solved! It was well worth the extra effort as they were both delicious!
And if you want to finish the day with something sweet, there’s always these gorgeous Mini pavlovas to tempt you…
Have a happy Australia Day and a wonderful week ahead. Until next time. x
- 500g pork mince, preferably free range
- ½ red onion, finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 tbsp honey
- 80g dried apricots, roughly chopped
- 10-12 sage leaves, finely chopped
- 3 sheets of puff pastry
- 2 egg yolks, lightly beaten
- Poppy seeds
- Preheat the oven to 180°C. Line 2 baking trays with baking paper.
- Place the mince in a mixing bowl with the onion, garlic, honey, apricots and sage.
- Season well and combine with a fork. Divide the mixture into 6 equal parts.
- Cut one sheet of pastry in half length-ways and arrange one portion of the sausage meat evenly along the long end of one half of pastry.
- Starting with the edge closest to the sausage meat, roll the pastry so that it encloses the meat and forms one long sausage roll. Cut evenly into three pieces.
- Repeat with the remaining sausage meat and pastry.
- Arrange the sausage rolls on the pre-lined baking trays, ensuring the edge of each roll is at the base.
- Brush the pastry with the beaten yolks and then sprinkle with poppy seeds.
- Bake in the pre-heated oven until golden and cooked through (25-30 minutes).
- Serve hot with your choice of sauce (tomato, barbecue or sweet chilli).
- Makes 18 rolls.