I can pinpoint the exact moment my craving for Bircher muesli started. It was a little over a month ago now when a friend of mine posted a picture of some delicious looking strawberry and coconut Bircher muesli (or Overnight oats as she called it) on her Instagram account.
Unfortunately my new job requires I leave home at an ungodly hour of the day and sees me arriving home late in the evening most days, leaving little time for me to feed my growing craving for a nice bowl of homemade Bircher muesli.
Until today, that is. Today is when I finally made a bowl of this deliciously creamy Bircher muesli. Topped with sliced nectarines and berries, and served with a drizzling of honey, this small bowl of oats and fruit comes pretty close to breakfast perfection. When was the last time you treated yourself to some?
- 2 cups rolled oats
- 1 cup apple juice
- 1 apple, cored and grated with skin
- 1/2 cup natural greek yoghurt
- juice of 1 lemon
- 1-2 nectarines, sliced
- handful of blueberries
- handful of raspberries
- Place the oats in a mixing bowl, add the apple juice and stir to combine.
- Cover with cling-wrap and place in the fridge to soak for an hour, or overnight.
- Remove from the fridge and stir in the grated apple, yoghurt and lemon juice until well combined.
- Serve in small bowls and garnish with the nectarines and berries.
- Drizzle with honey if desired.