Has it really been two weeks since my last post?!? I can’t believe what a crazy month March has been.
Did you miss me? I sure missed you guys!
I suppose now is as good a time as any to share my news with you all. Earlier this month I enrolled in a postgraduate course at my old university, which I’m very excited about. But I have to say that going back to full time studies after so long has proved to be a bit of a shock to the system!
Anyway, the first three weeks were pretty out of control, hence my unexplained absence. I keep reminding myself that it’s only for one year, so in the whole scheme of things I should survive and I’m hoping I’ll be able to manage my time a little better going forward so that A Sweet Muddle doesn’t suffer as a result.
Being rather time constrained of late, my adventures in the kitchen have been rather dull, to say the least! However I was inspired to make this beautiful hot smoked trout and lentil salad last week, and again last night.
I hope you’re tempted to give this salad a try. Not only is it bright and extremely tasty, but it takes less than 10 minutes to throw together, which is a big plus.
- 400g can brown lentils, rinsed & drained
- 1/2 yellow pepper
- 1/2 red pepper
- 1 red onion, cut into thin wedges
- 50g baby spinach
- 1/3 cup flat leaf parsley
- 150g hot smoked trout
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- pinch of salt
- pinch of sugar (optional)
- freshly ground black pepper
- Combine all the ingredients for the dressing (excluding the sugar) in a jar. Secure the lid and shake well. If the dressing is a little tart, add the sugar and combine.
- Place the drained lentils into a large bowl, add half the dressing and toss to coat well.
- Next, add the red and yellow peppers, onion, baby spinach and parsley to the bowl. Season with salt and pepper and gently toss to combine.
- Divide among four serving plates.
- Break the trout into large flakes then divide evenly among plates.
- Drizzle a small amount of the reserved dressing over the trout, if desired.
- Serve immediately.